Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A story from the last century

When my dad was in 8th or 9th standard, he was gifted a book on the universe or maybe the moon by my jetha (his elder brother). He read that book and liked it a lot.
Then a year or so later, there was this essay competetion on again some celestial subject. My dad wrote an essay and got the consolation prize. The money was 50 rs, which was a pretty big amount at that time. All this was thru mail (not e-mail the true mail)
The organizers, in the award letter, asked dad to answer another question as to what was it that he wanted to do when he grew up.
My dad, till then, wanted to be a teacher. Why? Coz in his village he had seen the teacher living a peaceful life and respected by all. But then when he sat down to write the essay, one of his cousins or friends advised him against writing this, since it sounded too trivial.
So Papa thought for a long time. During those days, some hydel power project was going on in assam n was in news. So he wrote that he wanted to be an electrical engineer. To improve the power infrastructure of assam etc etc (gyan like we write in forms)
N that is when he actually decided to become an electrical engineer.

Why I am writing this? My dad told me many of his childhood stories about a year or 2 back. And he mentioned this one again a few days back. And I really love this one. It has a motivating factor along with the innocence of a child in a village.

Really nice.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Hitchhiker said...

:) a note with a smile :)

2:48 PM  
Blogger D said...

Nice Stuff...I rem when I was a Kid, my dad also used to tell me stories. Then came a stage, when I th8 it was just gyaan and now when I don't get to meet him often..i kind of miss those stories. By the way ur Cig smokin story was kewl....it is excatly what I did some years ago.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Vik said...

I can understand. it's such a nice feeling when one's dad shares memories of his childhood with him.
Sometimes I wonder can't those days return when life used to be simple, ambitions used to be limited, and people mattered more than money.

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home