Friday, November 07, 2008

I Love(d) my watch...

I have always loved my watch. Not because it's MY watch or that I have any sentimental value attached to it....ok....this was the watch which I wore during CAT 2005...but I dont love it because of that
I love my watch because it tells me the time. And I am kind of finicky about time and punctuality and stuff. In fact, after coming to Delhi, it has decreased a lot. Pehle to kaafi tha....once I was to meet a friend (11th or 12th std) at 5 at a bus stop. I usually reach appointment places 10-15 mins beforehand. So i reached there before time, waited. He wasnt there till 5:10 so I left. Next day he asks me, tu saale aaya kyu nahi....n mai bola...saale tu nahi aaya...mai 5:10 tak ruka tha...woh bola...mai to 5:15 ko aaya tha.... and the argument went on
So the moral of this anecdote is that i value punctuality a lot. I guess there lies the root to my wearing a watch at all possible times. Without a watch on my wrist i feel....uncomfortable.

Now you would have noticed that above I said Delhi has decreased my punctuality mania syndrome. Why do I say so? Because of public transport.
Now I am non vehicle owner Delhiite. Ok if u consider my bicycle to be a vehicle, then I would say, I am a non fuel driven vehicle owner Delhite. I just became a Delhiite a month back.
So I like in this place called Dwarka, where distances are huge. The nearest decent shopping place is about 4-5 kms from my house, and the only mode of transport is auto or man-pulled rickshaw, both of which I generally tend to avoid if i am travelling alone. So to avoid walking I bought a cycle......I am digressing...
So, I donot have a car/motorcycle. Hence I rely on public transport. In Dwarka, the only public transport is the Metro, but then that does not go where I need to go regulary...
abbey sandhas ki baat nahi kar raha hoon...sandhas mein metro lekar jaunga kya...bawla/bawli ho gaya/gayi hai ke...
My office, which is located in the heaven on earth Gurgaon...
Oh what a beautiful place Gurgaon is.....beautiful clouds of dust, roads covered with sand and dust, giving u a feel of being in the beach right when u r in the city, n amazing public transport system...where else can u see people in a city travelling on the roof of a bus...gives u the true feel of being in a village away from civilization....amazing roads with ample no. of potholes to ensure that there is water/slush to "clean" the tyres of moving vehicles....what more could one ask for
Ok...so my office is in Gurgaon...
Now....the only public transport system operating from my locality which is Dwarka to Gurgaon...is call center/other cabs, which pick up people on the way, take 10 rs and drop u in Gurgaon...a place called IFFCO chowk
Now....in the morning, I cycle to the metro station....3 odd kms...park my cycle there....wait for a cab and get into one which stops...n in one I can get into (getting into a cab is not as easy as it sounds...there are quite a few contenders for that coveted place in the cab...u have seen Hera Pheri have u....u open one door to enter....n the cab gets full by people entering from the other door...etc etc)...so the cab drops me at IFFCO chowk...from there I take a tempo to Sikandarpur....n then its a km long walk to my office...the ride in the tempo is quite healthy since all the joints of my body are exercised (read rattled) due to strange positions of sitting and due to the amazing roads of gurgaon...

Now...going in the morning is still fine...returning in the evening...i have to retrace the below mentioned route...however, just that now...the number of contenders for the cab have exponentially increased, and the no. of cabs has decreased.....
So in such a situation today, at some point of time...no...not at some point of time...at 8:26 PM by my watch, my watch broke while trying to enter/exit/stop...i dunno...a cab
I came to know that at around 9:02 by my mobile, since after getting down from the bus (today I didnt get a cab....got a bus finally....there are a few buses which ply late in the evening....u have to be lucky to find one)...i as a lover of my watch n a frequent checker of time....looked at my watch...n felt happy it was still 8:26...but then realized...the glass is missing...n also the seconds hand is not moving.....n that i had got down 1-2 odd km before my stop...

So my dear friends...this is how...my loved watch was hurt....and I am going to get it repaired tomorrow....till the next time....delhi/gurgaon's public transport manages to break it again....

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Drushti said...

oh cool daily babble... an adventurous way to reach office I must say.... badhiyaa hai... :).. I drive my way to office on cycle, but the distance is 1 km, so its okay.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Anurag said...

adventurous...tiring....and at times very very frustrating :o)

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oho! bache ka watch toot gaya ... tsk tsk :)

aur yaar, IIMA ke ho to kya hua? hum middle class walon ki life bhi kya hoti hain, ye jaan na zaroori hain. 4 years later when you are in a merc and cussing the fellow walking slowly on the road, you ... these moments will make you realise ki tum bhi kabhi aise raste pe chala karte they ;)

(load na le, life hain. watch theek kara le)

5:52 PM  
Blogger Kandarp said...

So, the million dollar question is :
Why are you living in Dwarka ?????

(hoping for the metro service to come up soon ?)

12:21 AM  
Blogger Anurag said...

@arpz
mai common man hi hoon re...just that delhi ka public transport is a new experience...blr guwahati ahmeadabad pune ka poochna hai to bol :P :P

@ kandy
because the house which i stay in is in dwarka...ab yeh mat pooch waha kyu hai...yeh ek lambi kahani hai :(

4:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

what happened to the Rolex you bought in Malaysia ?

2:30 PM  
Blogger Anurag said...

@vinay
i didnt buy even a timex re...rolex to door ki baat hai

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home